February 2, 2020 by epoetus
NOTE: this post is like many of the ones you’d see on Islanders’ Voice – they are compilations of information that is already available.
What do we know so far as of 3pm PT on 2/1/2020:
• It does not appear to be as severe as SARS or MERS, as demonstrated by the death rate of 2.2%
• It is much more severe than the standard seasonal flu which has a death rate of around 0.05%
• It is spreading faster than SARS and MERS – Currently greater than 11,791 cases reported in China with deaths at greater than 294
• The method used for determining the number of infected people in China may be under counting the total number of people infected – this is an unintentional result
• Due to factors like the incubation period the death rate may also be under calculated – it could be more like 5.6%
• The incubation period appears to be 14 days, and people may be spreading the disease before they have symptoms
• Travelers coming from the ground zero areas in China, like Wuhan and Hubei province, are now facing the potential of 14-day quarantines in their destination countries.
A quick plug for Islanders’ Voice: If you like what you see on the Islanders’ Voice site then please share our stories with your friends and ask them to join the mailing list: Subscribe to Islanders’ Voice Free Weekly Mailing List, and like the Islanders’ Voice Facebook page as well: Islanders’ Voice Facebook page.
What should we do to prevent it and prepare for it
• Wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds with real soap and warm water
• Don’t use the 60% ethyl alcohol hand sanitizers, like Purell, unless it is the only choice
• N95 face masks are not important unless you are around infected people, like health care workers – there does appear to have been a rush to hoard the masks, as many places are out of stock
• Don’t touch your eyes
This is standard flu prevention advice. There will be regular updates in the news every day, as the situation is changing rapidly, and our understanding of this virus is changing every day.
Latest most accurate as of 2/1/2020 2:40pm PT
Update on total cases in China
Calculation used for the number of cases may be under counting the real number
Death rate may be under calculated
Purell and hand sanitizers will not kill the flu virus
The San Juan County Democrats sponsor this publication to encourage discussion about issues of public concern. Articles published represent solely the views and opinions of their respective authors, and do not necessarily represent the views of Islanders Voice, its staff, or the San Juan County Democrats.